Below are my selections to help you quickly find data and analysis of key industry issues. Since you may not want to spend the rest of your day reading my musings, you’ll be able to find this post again at the “Best Of” tab in the menu bar.
I grouped the posts into the following categories:
- Industry Data and Forecasts
- Pharmacy Economics and Prescription Profits
- Specialty Drugs
- Analysis of Key Market Participants
- Reports and Resources
- Fun Stuff
Thanks for tuning in to Drug Channels. As always, feel free to email me if you have specific questions. I also accept all LinkedIn requests if you’d like to e-connect.
INDUSTRY DATA AND FORECASTS
How big is the market today? How big will it be tomorrow? These posts take a critical look at industry forecasts and data.
- Chains Win Big in 2009
- CMS' New Drug Spending Projections
- Drug Channel Profits: 2010 Edition
- Health Reform: Impact on Drug Channels
- Drug Forecasts: Oops!...They Missed It Again
- Interpreting IMS’ Shiny Happy New Forecast
The profits associated with prescription drugs is an amazingly popular topic, in part because the economics of the pharmaceutical supply chain are so opaque and hard to understand. These posts pull back the curtain and show you the data.
- Pharmacy Profits and the Uninsured
- Shhhh! Owning a Pharmacy is Very Profitable
- Why do pharmacy owners care about PBM transparency?
- Drug Prices and Pharmacy Profits
- Reality Check on Mail Economics
- Pharmacy Profits and Wal-Mart
- Pharmacy Profits & Part D
- Generic Drug Profits: Too High or Appropriate Incentive?
Specialty drugs are the fastest growing part of the industry. These posts will help you understand this market.
- Insights from new ESRX Drug Trend Report
- Specialty Drugs: The Medical vs. Pharmacy Benefit Muddle
- Specialty Spending Soars (for now)
Who’s doing what and why are they doing it? Read these posts to find out.
- When will CVS and Caremark split up?
- CVS Grows While Legal Storm Clouds Gather
- The Odd Economics of Maintenance Choice (CVS Caremark)
- Walgreen’s PBM Bypass Strategy
- Walgreen Grabs Duane Reade: What It Means
- Walgreen's Future Profit Potential
- What's Next for Rite-Aid
- Medco Takes on Eli Lilly
- Wal-Mart Explains Its Healthcare Strategy
- CAT + WAG = More Momentum for Cost Plus
- CAT Rolls Out Preferred WAG-WMT Pharmacy Network
I point you to the most valuable resources from around the industry.
- U.S. Pharmacy Industry: Economic Report and Outlook
- A Peek at Drug Wholesalers' Economics
- Two Great New Resources on Pharmacy Economics
The lighter side of Drug Channels…
- Wal-Mart to Buy Walgreens
- Hidden Requirements in New Health Care Bill
- FDA Approves Despondex :-(
- CVS Gets Ahead of Walgreens...with Chia Obama!