You can also download Therigy’s case study: Memorial Hermann Realizes Significant Care Enhancements and Cost Savings by Bringing Specialty Pharmacy Services In-House. This case study explores how the largest health system in southeast Texas developed internal specialty pharmacy services.
Read on for Joe’s insights.
The Pursuit of Excellence: Implementing an Integrated High Performing Specialty Pharmacy Model
By Joseph Morse, CEO, Therigy
- High administrative workload on clinic staff
- Navigating insurance coverage for patients
- Disconnected communication across payers, pharmacies, and providers
- Delays in patients starting critical medication
DEVELOPMENT OF INTEGRATED PHARMACY SERVICES
Below are some common first steps in developing an integrated pharmacy service model.
- Identify responsible parties to integrate workflow and information sharing
- Conduct clinical, technology, and operational training
- Implement integrated technology and reporting
- Partner, where needed, with high performing specialty pharmacies
- Align goals of therapy with patient care plans
ADVANTAGES OF AN INTEGRATED PHARMACY SERVICE MODEL
A high performing integrated pharmacy service model offers:
- Real-time patient onboarding with specialty pharmacy
- Streamlined insurance benefit communications
- Complete patient consultation, educational training, and therapy assessment
- Improved time to start therapy
Benefits of an integrated specialty pharmacy service model include:
- Patient: Delivers standardized patient care that meets the goals of therapy
- Continuity: Promotes continuity of care as an interdisciplinary healthcare team
- Outcomes: Improves patient outcomes and treatment cost of care
- Experience: Increases patient satisfaction, overall patient experience, and provider relations
- Reporting: Reports interventions to demonstrate clinical outcomes and quality of care
Often the pharmacy leadership will implement this new service with health system employees to demonstrate success and then broaden to serve all patients in a phased approach to roll out to physician specialties.
Download a case study that describes one of Therigy’s recent engagements with a client: Memorial Hermann Realizes Significant Care Enhancements and Cost Savings by Bringing Specialty Pharmacy Services In-House.
Sponsored guest posts are bylined articles that are screened by Drug Channels to ensure a topical relevance to our exclusive audience. These posts do not necessarily reflect our opinions and should not be considered endorsements.
To find out how you can publish a guest post on Drug Channels, please contact Paula Fein (email@example.com).