- Click here to download a free report overview (including a summary of industry trends, the Table of Contents, and a List of Exhibits)
The 2021–22 Economic Report on Pharmaceutical Wholesalers and Specialty Distributors—our 12th edition— remains the most comprehensive, fact-based tool for understanding and analyzing the large and growing U.S. pharmaceutical distribution industry.
This 2021-22 edition contains the most current financial and industry data along with detailed information about the strategies and market positions of the largest companies: AmerisourceBergen, Cardinal Health, and McKesson. It updates our annual analysis of each wholesaler’s business segments and underlying business profitability, based upon our proprietary economic models.
The notable new material in this 2021-22 edition includes three new sections:
- Section 4.2.5. analyzes how marketplace dynamics of provider-administered biosimilars affect wholesalers’ gross margins. (Section 4.4. in this edition introduces our estimates of these profits.)
- Section 7.4.4. reviews AmerisourceBergen’s entry into the European distribution market. (We consider McKesson’s exit from Europe in Section 9.4.3.)
- Section 6.1.5. summarizes key aspects of the wholesalers’ national opioid settlement.
WHAT’S GOING ON
Twice a year, I spend my evenings and weekends writing two comprehensive, fact-based, and nonpartisan reports on drug channel economics. In some small way, I try to make the world a better and smarter place.
Licenses for our DCI reports are regularly purchased by nearly every company involved in the drug channel: pharmaceutical manufacturers, wholesalers, pharmacists, pharmacy owners, hospitals, buyers, benefit managers, managed care executives, policy analysts, investors, lawyers, consultants, and more. So, you can find out what your customers, partners, and competitors are reading.
The 2021–22 Economic Report on Pharmaceutical Wholesalers and Specialty Distributors is the only resource of its kind available anywhere. It offers 142 proprietary charts, exhibits, and data tables.
FOUR FUN FACTS
- The 9 chapters are self-contained and do not need to be read in order. (Really!) There are loads of internal hyperlinks to help you navigate the document and customize it to your specific interests and priorities.
- We are offering the option to download an additional PowerPoint file with images of all 142 exhibits. This popular option helps you share the insights and data with others in your organization. (The exhibits appear in all license versions. The PowerPoint file option is available only with the purchase of a corporate license.)
- There are an astonishing 537 (!) endnotes, most of which have hyperlinks to original source materials. These source materials offer a handy way to build your knowledge base beyond what’s included in the full report.
- As usual, I have reluctantly stripped out the corny jokes and pop culture references.